You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Mommy Wins With Patience

Evenings are always a trying time around our house.  James is usually at work so I have to handle the witching hour by myself.  It can wear you down quickly unless you have a strategy and patience, things I commonly lack.  Last night was a good night.

While I was cooking dinner, the kids were squabbling and they wanted to watch a show.  I told them that they needed to clean up first.  This effectively put a stop to the bickering and they began to play together with the toys.  It took them 30 minutes to clean up on their own without me saying anything, AND, they played nicely together, working towards a common goal.  One point for mommy!

I let them watch a show while I finished cooking and set the table.  They came to the table, looked at the food I served and started whining and complaining.  Gibson was actually in tears.  Our rule is that they have to try a bite of the food in order to have something else, usually a piece of bread.  I had to remind Gibson of Philippians 2:14 Do all things without complaining and disputing.  Both kids know this verse well.  He was both complaining about the food and disputing about tasting it.

Tabitha needed to go to the bathroom, so I told Gibson that our conversation was over and he knew what he needed to do in order to get different food.  I took Tabi to the bathroom, and Gib started eating the food, albeit reluctantly. He ended up finishing the entire bowl.  I gave him a piece of toast with honey on it, and he was very happy.  Tabi eventually put a tiny piece of the food in her mouth (while I was ignoring her), so she got half a piece of bread.  Two points for mommy!

After dinner we needed to finish cleaning up the toys.  The kids were motivated because they had new bath toys to play with (Gibson won them from the local toy store).  Plopped the kids in the bath to play with the new squirt toys.  Squabbles once again ensued.  I had to remind Tabi that the new toys were Gibby's and she needed to let him play with them tonight.  Then I told her to ask Gibby if she could have a toy, in a gentle voice (another verse we know well: Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger).  He handed her a toy and they played nicely for the rest of the tub time.  Three points for mommy!

Overall, it was a good day.  I was able to use a gentle voice with the kids, even when I was annoyed (only with God's help!!), and they responded with obedience.  Of course, I had to keep on top of things and it was not easy.   But I am hoping that yesterday is the first of a long course of patient mommy days!

0 comments: