You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crater Lake Day 3 part 1

Gibson woke up right at 6:00 a.m. James rolled over and Gibson was peeking over his crib at us. It was very cute.

And now he's fussing so much that the entire campground must be awake.

We're trying to pack up and he doesn't want to be in his play pen; he might be cold - it's probably around 45 degrees.I warmed Gibson up with some warm milk, and now he's chasing squirrels again.

James is loading up the van. A squirrel just jumped into the side door. I tried chasing it out, but I'm not sure if it left or not. James is shaking the van to see if he can scare it out. I'm guessing it's gone, but you never know. I can just see us half way to Crater Lake and a tiny squirrel jumps onto Gibson's lap and we're all screaming - I must watch too many movies.

All right, 2 1/2 hours after we woke up and we're on the road back to Crater Lake. We've decided to take some pictures and leave through the north entrance. We're sticking to the main highways this time. Forget the TomTom.

We've stopped quickly at Annie Falls so I could take some pictures. I could see the gorge all the way in to the park and wanted to see how deep it was. It is really deep. So much so, that is is difficult to see the falls.

That is a LONG way down!


We're at Crater Lake again. We've stopped at Dicovery Point, which overlooks Wizard Island. I can't believe how blue and green the water is! The sky is also very blue, but there is a low lying haze that washes out the color and obscures the horizon.

The happy family!Here's the entire lake, from left to right. Can you see the speck that is the tour boat?
Mount Scott is the highest point in the park, just left of the center of the Wizard Island cone.Klammath Lake is the little depression between the hills in the background. It is about 60 miles from the south entrance to Crater Lake Park.
The shallows are an emerald green and fade out to a sapphire blue. I love the coves on Wizard Island, they look like brilliant opals. Vibrant is a word that I would use to describe the colors of the lake. Offset by the drabness of the steep sides, the lake is even more astounding.

Close up of above picture. Yes, that is snow. The north entrance to the park opened only a few weeks ago!Gibson is having a grand old time running around and climbing the steps. He has to stop and look through all of the fence posts.

We're on our way again. We've just driven through the pumice desert, which was smaller than I thought it would be from the map, but interesting. We're on our way to some waterfalls along Highway 138.

0 comments: