The ground squirrels are just starting to move about. We can't leave any food out because they are right on it. They've been into all of our bins, and . . . Shooo!! There was a squirrel eating egg off of the frying pan that is waiting to be washed, and one of them tried to get into James' hot chocolate and knocked it over. Better do the dishes quick!
All right, Crater Lake here we come!!Wow, the lake is beautiful!! I knew it was blue, but I didn't expect it to be THAT blue! Gibson is asleep, so we've just decided to drive around the lake so that he can take a good nap.
Gibson had a 90 minute nap, and now we've stopped to use the bathroom and stretch at Vidae Falls . That sounds like how I say my name when I'm really congested!
We're outside at a picnic table munching on some crackers and cheese. A bird has flown to a log to eat some ants. It startled Gibson, but once he recovered he said, "Hi, Key!" That's Gibson speak for "Hi, Kitty," which really means "Hi, Animal."

We didn't hike to the falls, but stopped at the side of the road to take some pictures.

I was intrigued by the water coming off of the fallen tree.
Now we're at the lake again. It is soooo beautiful! But is is chillier than we thought it would be. Good thing I brought Gibson's sweater, but I forgot mine. Fortunately, James has an extra one that I can put on.

The little rock island is called the Phantom Ship.
We're on our way back to camp now. We're following the TomTom's directions, but I'm not sure that it's taking us on the best route. We just started on a dirt road that looks like a logging road. Well, we'll see where it goes.
Okay, an hour and a half later, we are back on the pavement after turning around. I think we were closer to our destination than to our starting point, but the road ended and we had no where else to go. Stupid TomTom.
Back in camp now. What should have been a 45 minute trip took 3 hours. We're tired of being in the car, especially Gibson. He doesn't sleep well in his carseat, so his nap was not as long as usual.
We've been chasing squirrels away from him while he eats. I think one just jumped up on his tray because he squealed as if in fright (I was only gone for 5 seconds!!). I'm getting tired of these squirrels.

Gibson and I are playing inside the tent alcove for a little while. He's happy in the dirt and I'm happy reading. James is happy outside the tent laughing at Gibson's antics inside the tent.
And the antics of those dratted ground squirrels.
Gibson is in bed now. Our plan tonight is to just ignore him until he falls asleep. I washed him off in the bathroom sink this evening. Gibson amused himself with the faucet and the wet kid in the mirror. Why didn't I think of that last night?
James and I are sitting in the alcove this evening while we read. It keeps the mosquitoes out. Why didn't we think of this last night?
Even though we're quiet and Gibson can't see us, he knows we're out here and is trying to talk to us: Abba baa baa. Hiii Key! Thhbbb.
We usually love to camp because it is so relaxing, but we're pretty much done with this trip; it's not relaxing at all. Keeping a CLOSE eye on Gibson as well as the squirrels is hard work. He's not getting enough sleep and has been fussy all day. We had planned on staying for at least one more night, but we're both ready to pack up in the morning.
9:25 and Gibson is finally asleep. It is dark now, so I think that helps. Tomorrow, one last visit to Crater Lake and then home!

1 comments:
You look so ready to go home, or at least stop camping. I totally identify with you. Glad you can go for multiple day trips, at least.
Hey, why don't you come down here and camp in the desert to jungle garden for a week?!? LOL Lots of wild life out there to keep Gibson's interest.
Post a Comment