Gibson went to bed tonight with a hurting conscience. He had been disobedient twice this evening and one of the consequences was not getting a story read at bedtime.
He cried while I changed his clothes; and he cried through the two songs I usually sing. He cried when I put him in bed; and he cried while I prayed with him. He cried when I told him good night and turned out the light; and he cried when I told him I love him.
He continued to cry for about 10 minutes, and then I went back in to his bedroom.
"Do you want to sit with Mommy for a little bit?" I asked.
A sobbed, "Uh-huh" was the reply as he stood up.
I sat with him in the rocking chair and asked him a few questions.
"Do you know why I didn't read a story to you?"
"Uh-huh."
"Because you were disobedient, right?"
He nods against my shoulder.
I turn him around to face me, "Does your heart hurt because you were disobedient?" as I touch his chest.
He nods again.
"Are you sorry for being disobedient?"
He nods again.
"Can you say you are sorry for being disobedient?"
In his broken way of speaking, he says, "Sorry, Mommy . . . dis-oh-buh-dent." And he throws his arms around my neck again.
I gave him hugs and said that I forgive him and that I love him. Then I asked another important question, "Does your heart feel better now?"
He nodded and gave a huge sigh, like a huge weight had been lifted from him. After hugs and kisses, he lay back down without a peep. The hurt he had been feeling inside had left and now he could go to sleep peacefully.
BOOKS I FINISHED - JULY 2026
12 hours ago

3 comments:
Oh, that's so sweet! Made me tear up. Great lesson for us who will be starting discipline in the near(ish) future.
I hope tonight went better and you had an obedient boy who got his bedtime story! Good job for being consistent, though I imagine how hard it was and tugged at your heart!
Sound's like your doing a great job parenting. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment