Last night I was admitted to the hospital with labor pains. I'd been having contractions steadily for four hours and my doctor thought it would be a good idea to get checked out. Unfortunately, I'm not at home. Fortunately, we had built in care for Gibson at my parents' house.
Checked in to Los Alamitos Hospital around 10 p.m. I was given a shot to slow down the contractions, but it didn't work - they were still every six minutes. We discovered that if I delivered, it would have to be at Long Beach Memorial, so around 12:30 they finally put an IV in me (first try - thank You Lord!) and just before 2:00 a.m. I was transferred via ambulance. Sorry, Gibson, you missed the ride.
At LB Memorial I was given more IV fluids and sent the grandparents home (my mom and my in-laws came with James & me to the hospitals) around four. Around 5:30 I finally saw a doctor. She did some exams and was able to see that I was not actually in labor. I was able to eat a rather soggy sandwich and we were discharged at 7:30.
I immediately went to bed and slept for about four hours - just slightly less than I've been getting at night anyway! James is taking his turn at sleep now. Hospitals are not hospitable places for sleep . . . or so I have found.
I am not on bed rest, but do need to take it easy. No sight seeing for me (like that has ever been a problem). In a way, I'm glad it happened while we are in CA, because Gibson has some family around for support. Of course, he has absolutely no idea what went on last night. He woke up only about an hour before we got to my parents' house, and it is not unusual for him to be short one parent when he gets up, so I'm guessing being short two parents was not a far cry for him. He had his grandpa & grandma (oh, and his cars & tractor!) and is still being happily entertained. I know if we were home he'd be "entertained" by the tv at this point, so it's nice for him to have some interaction.
I am still having some contractions, but they're not consistent. Keep hydrated, take it easy & Tabitha, you keep kicking, and I should be okay to fly on Saturday.
I have always kind of wondered what it would be like to be in labor. Now I have a taste of it and will be perfectly happy if I don't taste it again.

3 comments:
Glad to hear all is well with you and Tabitha. Let us know if you need anything once you get home. We will be praying for safe travels! -Jamie Miller
Praying for you Vinae!! I just had my OB visit today and I have been having braxton & hicks (sp) lately more than 4x's in 1 hr. hopefully it's nothing serious. I would like to go as long as I can. I trust the Lord no matter what. Keep us up to date and hope you all get home soon.
Love,
Chris
Just got word that Tabitha was born tonight. Praying for all of you!
Post a Comment