You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Week Old

Yesterday at 4:00 p.m. I was sitting on our bed thinking of all the trauma I had experienced just seven days ago. I have never had such a crazy mix of emotions as I did that day!

Last night James and I visited Tabitha during her 9:00 p.m. feeding. The nurse was busy with another baby, so we got to start by taking her temperature and changing her diaper. James found a nice surprise in her diaper - her umbilical cord stump! Now our baby girl has a belly button!

Also new yesterday, she is slowly being weaned from the isolette into a regular bed. The process takes five days and they start by keeping two of the portholes open and wrapping her up in two blankets.

She also started what is called "nippling" yesterday. At one feeding during every 12 hour shift, she is given a bottle to see how she does with the suck/swallow/breathe process. Last night I was able to give her the bottle. She didn't drink much, only about 3cc's, but it is a start. As soon as she got milk out, she seemed a little unsure what to do with the new sensation in her mouth.

She has the longest feet - as long as my first finger.
She looked so comfy cuddling her 'lovey' - you can just see her fingers peeking out. I loved how relaxed she looked with the leg and arm out. She also had pulled her hat down over her eyes.

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

She is beyond precious, Vinae! I have loved reading about your journey. Thank you for sharing. I'm praying for you!

Jacki R. said...

Looks like she's already regulating her own temperature by sticking her leg out of the blankies! Great job with the bottle. She did good for her first time!

This is probably too early to mention, but I have an unopened 2-pack of those green Soothies pacifiers that are 0-3 months. You'll probably be sent home with a couple from the hospital, but you can have these if you want/need them upon your return! Emma never took to pacis.