You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Trip So Far . . .

It has been a tough ride so far with Gibson. He's been so fussy and inconsolable that it is very frustrating. He tends to scream a LOT and only likes to sleep upright or on his tummy (which is a big no-no), and even then his sleep is restless. My lactation consultant told me he may have gastric reflux, so yesterday, we took a family trip to the pediatrician and Gibson was prescribed some baby Zantac which is an acid reducer. Hopefully that will help him.

I've also started him on a schedule. We had a sort of schedule before, it was basically every three hours, but not specific times. Now, I've had some helpful hints from some books on how to get him on a schedule and keep him on it. He seems to be doing very well with that. The last two nights he has gone 5 hours between feedings, so that is a big improvement. A friend also lent us a swing which has been a life-saver at night; he goes to sleep with a little fussing, but stays asleep a lot longer than if he was laying in his crib.

By the way, he is in his own room now. We had him in a bassinet in our bedroom for the first three and a half weeks. But as one person so delicately put it, babies tend to sleep as quietly as a barnyard. I am such a light sleeper that I use earplugs to ward off James' night noises. With Gibson in the room, and me being a new mom, I heard every little peep he made even with the earplugs in; and "peep" he did almost constantly. So, needless to say I didn't get much sleep; I was already up every 2 - 3 hours, and then in between I could hear the charming noises of our little prince. Off he went to his own bedroom. I sleep sooo much better now!

He now weighs 10 lbs, 3 oz. He's outgrown some of his newborn clothes. We were very fortunate to have lots of hand-me-down little boy clothes, along with all the gifts we received (thank you!), so we have plenty of clothes for Gibson - which is a good thing since he spits up so much. He has one outfit that has a whale on it and it says "Little Squirt." He was wearing it yesterday (he was so cute!!) and the outfit proved to be prophetic: first he spit up all over it (more like spewed), and then he squirted up the back of his diaper and when I was changing him he squirted in the front! The next outfit made no references to squirting.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey all, Vinae I dont know if the doctor told you about a wedge you could put in Gibson's crib that props him up so that the acid wont bug him as much. Just an F.Y.I. Andrew had colic so bad that he slept in his swing for the first 2 months of his life nap times included. It seemed to comfort him and keep his tummy happier too. I love the swing it was a life saver. I am glad to know that you are getting more sleep now.