You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apple Tree

Our macoun apple tree has produced a bumper crop of apples this year.  So far, the tree has provided us with enough apples for:


4 dozen drops before they were mature - early on in the summer the kids had fun throwing the baby apples around, or making 'soup' with them, but not so much fun cleaning them up.
4 crock pots of apple butter
3 batches of apple muffins
2 apple crisps
1 large pot of apple sauce
4 dozen apples given away
1 dozen waiting to be made into some sort of apple dessert
1 dozen for eating whole
2 dozen tossed because of the icky factor - worms, bruises, slugs, rotting, etc.  And they have to be pretty icky for me to toss them, usually into the composter.





There are currently about 3 dozen apples left on the tree.  I am actually getting tired of dealing with apples.  At least next year the tree won't have as many apples since 1) we are going to prune it as soon as the leaves are off and 2) it tends to have a good year followed by a not so abundant year.  I don't think I will miss the overabundance of apples that I have to deal with on a daily basis next year, especially since I'll have an infant on my hands as well as two very active pre-schoolers (at the moment they are kicking the small soccer ball with ferocity, squealing with delight).  I may, however, miss the beautiful blossoms it produced this year.


0 comments: