You can make a comment and you don't have to sign in! Under each post is a comments link. Click on the link, type in your message and sign your name. Select Anonymous and then Publish Your Post. It's that easy!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

What A Day!

It has been a very busy day. I just got home after being out of the house since 9:00 a.m. It is now 4:00 p.m. For any of you who are familiar with our habits, you'll realize that means Gibson missed his usual nap time. There is a very good reason for that, which I'll get to later.

James packed Gibson and I into his car to pick up our van, which had the brakes worked on. No more squealing around town for me!

After getting the van, we were all off to the doctor's office - today we found out that we're having . . . a cranky little boy (Gibson) in the ultrasound room, which makes for an interesting time while his mommy has a REALLY FULL BLADDER!

After pummeling my stomach for a while, the ultrasound tech finally was able to discover that the little one bumping around in my tummy is a girl! Tabitha Rose Winn will make her appearance sometime in early October. Exact date to come later.

Everything is within normal parameters for my 20th week. Her legs and arms are measuring a week ahead, but that just means she'll be tall. Anyone surprised there?

The doctor came in and listened to her heart. When Gibson heard the heart beat, a huge smile lit up his face. It was adorable! He's really going to enjoy having a baby sister.

After we finally left the OB's office, James went to work and Gibson and I went to a little mall to eat and play. They have a very small play area, consisting of a padded bridge, turtle, and log. However, there was another little boy there and he and Gibson chased each other around the play area. As I was getting ready to leave, Gibson tripped and fell, hitting his forehead on a wooden bench.

I could tell right away it was not good. By the time I had picked him up and brought him back to where I was sitting, there was blood all over both of us. I got some help from a nearby mom while another lady called 911 for me. I could tell that stitches would be required and wasn't sure I would be able to drive myself to the hospital.

By the time the paramedics came, Gibson had stopped crying, and the blood had stopped flowing. One paramedic carried him out to the ambulance, stopping to look at the puppies in a pet store window. Gibson perked up at the puppies, and of course, yelled out "Peace - Car!!" when he saw the flashing lights of the ambulance. The paramedic was amazed at how mellow Gibby was - yes, he is usually like that.

After hopping into the ambulance, I decided I was in a much better place, and since Gibson wasn't bleeding profusely anymore, I could drive us to the emergency room. With a bandaid (sticker) on his forehead and a bye-bye to the paramedics, we were off to the hospital.

James was told by his boss that he couldn't stay at work when his son was in the emergency room, and Gibson was thrilled to see his daddy. About two hours after we arrived, Gibson had three stitches in his forehead and we were free to go. But it was a rather traumatic experience for all the Winn's involved (probably excepting Tabitha. You haven't forgotten about her already, have you?).

On our way out the doors, Gibson was again sobbing on my shoulder, until we passed a waterfall that some crows were bathing in. He immediately sat up and screamed (yes, screamed), "WATER!! FALL!!" and then, "BIRD!!" Then I knew that I had my son back.

He is now sound asleep with a "sticker" on his forehead. We get the stitches out in five days. I am emotionally exhausted, but okay. God gave moms a special ability to withstand emergencies . . . until they are over. Then feel free to fall apart once the crisis has passed. I think I'll fall into bed for a while.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Congratulations on finding out about Tabitha. I hope you get some rest this evening. Give Gibby a big hug for Grandpa Dick.

Love you all,
Dick

Mary Lou said...

Yikes! So sorry to hear about Gibson's owie! I am sure that hurt!

Congratulations on little Tabitha Rose! Can't wait to meet her. Let me know if you want/need to borrow anything! ;)

Gretchen said...

Wow! What a day! Congrats on having a little girl and good job Gibson (and mom) for being sooo brave! =0)

Jacki R. said...

Yowser, what a day is right! So glad to hear Gibson ended up being okay, and HOORAY for Tabitha Rose!! This will be a great story to tell for ages :)

I've been checking your blog and Facebook all day long to find out. Congratulations!

Vinae said...

Gibson was such a trooper at the e-room. The doctor & nurses said he was a very good little boy. He was scared, but as soon as I started singing Jesus Loves Me he calmed down. I'm proud of my little boy.

The Wilde Family said...

Yeah it's a Girl!!! What great news for your family and sorry to hear about Gibson. I bet you were a very brave mommy today while Gibson got his stiches. Glad it's over and he is back to normal and you can take a breath now. I think Ava would have cried if she heard the sirens and the paramedics and the blood, yikes!

Have a great weekend and enjoy getting ready for a Girl!

Christina

Anonymous said...

A Girl! Congratulations and I love the name. Poor Gibson! With 9 boys we know about stitches, of course Faith has been our "most" stitched one yet. You need to take pictures of this ahem... milestone!

donna pryer