Tabitha's Early Childhood Intervention Program physical therapist just left our house. She was very impressed with Tabi's verbal and cognitive skills. Tabi can count at least six objects by herself and is able to put her pants on by herself, both skills the therapist said are three- or four-year-old skills. She can also jump forward with both feet at the same time, which is remarkable considering how her walking skills have lagged. The therapist was also impressed with her coloring skills; Tabi can draw a 'T' and circles, instead of just scribbles.
She is a little concerned about her toe-heel walk, and that she rolls her feet in a little. She just said that it is something to watch and ask her pediatrician about at her three year appointment. I'm not very concerned at this point. It is something I am aware of and will continue to watch. Tabi's feet have improved a lot as she has become more comfortable walking and running, and I think they will continue to improve.
The Early Childhood Intervention Program has two levels, 0-3 and 3-5, so just before Tabi turns three, she will be evaluated again. I highly doubt she will qualify to continue in the program, since she would need to qualify in at least two areas. At this point, the only thing she needs to improve upon to bring her to age appropriate skill level is her balance and other foot-related skills.
On another note, the therapist made me crack up (on the inside). I had told Tabitha if she wanted to color on a piece of paper, she needed to go get the one she threw on the floor. The therapist said she was very delighted to see that I am so consistent with my children; she is always trying to get parents to be consistent. I laughed silently because the real reason I was telling Tabi to get her paper for herself was because I didn't want to bend over to pick it up!
She did give me another compliment on her way out the door on how polite my kids are. I was pleased that she thought so, because just a minute before I had scolded Tabitha for being rude to me. I told the therapist that there is no excuse for children not to be polite, even a six-month-old can be taught to sign "please" and "thank you." It just takes...
wait for it...
Consistency! :)
THANKFUL THURSDAY
9 hours ago

1 comments:
I too was impressed with her communication skills. I got a kick out of watching and listening to her talk on the toy cell phone as if engaging someone in conversation. If I spoke while she was on the phone she put her index finger to her mouth and shushed me.... Grandpa Mike
Post a Comment